Thursday 12 July 2007

Another London Alive! on Wednesday, July 11

LONDON DEAD AND ALIVE

Wednesday afternoon's agenda was to pick another London Alive! program, and I chose Dr. Andy Wiest's ''Death and and Mayhem in Westminster.'' It featured a walking tour around Southwark, Westminster, the Houses of Parliament, Whitehall, the Royal Horse Guards, St. James's Park, and Trafalgar Square.

We were regaled with stirring and/or sordid stories behind many of the statues, monuments, and buildings, such as one of my favorites -- the bronze statue, above right, of Queen Boudica (formerly known as Boadicea) by Westminster Bridge and Parliament. We also discovered this amazing ''tribute,'' above left, to the Tour de France in St. James's Park!

LITTLE BIT OF LINNAEUS

(The morning of Wednesday, July 11, had been set aside for research time, and I am getting background information on my main project, which is the Linnean Society Library. I plan to visit the library next week in Burlington House in Piccadilly. This is an exciting time for Linnean fans like me, because his 300th birthday was celebrated around the world this past May 23. Starting last Sunday, and continuing through September, a man dresses as the character of Carl von Linnaeus every weekend at the Natural History Museum. I hope to see him this Saturday!)

1 comment:

Tina said...

Hello Miss Lib from sunny Florida!
Your blog is fabulous - great way for me to experience London vicariously through you! Hopefully one day I can visit in person. Shakespeare's play sounds most intriguing - will have to get detailed information when you return. Do have a wonderful time, but be careful!!
Love ya
Tina